CHANGES FOR 2020:
• Pilots will need to have a LANDING PASS this year. The main purpose is to cover the costs of having security on site 24 hours to make sure your precious vehicles are secure. Click here to get your Landing Pass.
• Passengers and Pilots or crew entering the event will need a once off Airspace Pass per person on board your aircraft who wishes to enter the event. This includes you, as a pilot, and your passengers.
• Airport will be open from Saturday 25 April until Monday 4 May 10h00.
• Passengers arriving before 23 April 2020 will need Early Access Passes. They must arrange this with their crew.
• Passengers arriving after 17h00 on 1 May 2020 will be sent home, by air, road or foot. They will be YOUR responsibility. However if they are RE-entering the event and have a valid entry band (NOT TICKET) they will be permitted to enter. Not negotiable. Security will assist. ]
• LANDING PASSES will cost double if purchased at the event. We encourage you to purchase landing pass in advance in order to facilitate our planning. We have limited internet and communication on site so we need your help to be kinda prepared-ish. Approximate arrival day and times will need to be provided. Refunds can be arranged if weather conditions makes flying impossible.
Charter pilots or any pilot landing at the airfield who do not wish to enter the event are not required to purchase an Airspace Pass. All passengers must have an event ticket, in their name, or they will not be permitted to enter the event and you may be asked to fly them back to their departure point. If your plane is full, they will be escorted to the gate and they will have to find a ride home.
For more info on the airspace pass please see our Fees page. Tankwa Town airfield is a private, uncontrolled airstrip for day operations only. It is in an extremely remote area with very basic facilities.
Pilots wanting to provide SCENIC FLIGHTS and PARACHUTE jumps must consult with Airspace and ATC before making any movements. Passengers do not need Airspace Passes in this instance.
HELICOPTERS are welcome. Please contact [email protected] before the event to arrange. Do not land ‘anywhere’ – this is private land and we have to minimise our impact. There is a designated landing pad and we need to secure the area. It is in a vulnerable position and we do not want participants being disturbed or hurt in any way.
Airspace provides to the best of abilities the following:
– Professional ATNS staff to advise on landing procedure
– Volunteer staff and infrastructure to communicate, inspect protect airstrip and participants from flying vehicle. Some night lights.
– Jungle Jepp and NOTAM
– Weather information and live webcam of airstrip
– A pilot information guide.
Airspace does not provide:
– Rubbish bins – please take your and your passengers MOOP back with you.
– Internet or cell phone reception unless in emergency circumstances.
– Aviation fuel
– Travel advisory service/complaints department – please look after your passengers.
It is up to you to familiarise yourself with the airspace and any relevant procedures put in place during the event. We have provided an info pack that should be studied before the flight and an airspace map for use during your flight into the Tankwa Karoo.
PILOTS need to provide:
– Airport Pass for each passenger and Landing Pass (once off entry).
– Tie downs – the desert soil is extremely hard and winds can be fierce. 18” rebars are great for securing tip and tail of your plane. Bring a sturdy hammer. Secure your plane.
– High Visibility Security vests – for pilots camping at their plane, all campers need to have vests when on the apron and approaching the airstrip, to assist in security in identifying permitted visitors.
– Pack a spare key and keep it safe
– Masking tape can be used to seal aircraft from dust getting in.
– Vinegar can be used to clean windows.
– Make sure your passengers have entry tickets and Airport Passes
If you own a Charter Company or would like to fly commercially into AfrikaBurn you need to get in touch with us and REGISTER. Please contact: [email protected] Charter organisation registrations for 2020 close 20 Feb 2020.
There will be a small team of volunteer ATC’s providing traffic information from Monday 23 April 2020 to Sunday 3 May 2020.
• Mon 23-Apr to Sun 3-May: 0600-1600Z
• Mon 4-May: 0600-0900Z
• AfrikaBurn-2020-Pilot-Information-Pack (PDF) – work in progress.
• Jungle Jepp (PDF) – attached.
• Weather & Surface Conditions
BY ATTENDING THIS EVENT YOU PERSONALLY AND VOLUNTARILY ASSUME THE FOLLOWING RISKS FOR YOURSELF AND ANY MINORS ACCOMPANYING YOU TO THIS EVENT OR ENTERING THIS EVENT ON A TICKET PURCHASED BY YOU ON THEIR BEHALF: INJURY, SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH AS A RESULT OF ATTENDING THIS EVENT AS WELL AS RISK OF DAMAGE, LOSS OR DESTRUCTION OF PERSONAL PROPERTY BROUGHT BY YOU TO THE EVENT (WHETHER OR NOT OWNED BY YOU). YOU VOLUNTARILY ASSUME LOSS OR DAMAGE TO PROPERTY AND THE RISK OF SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH BY ATTENDING, FLYING TO, OR ENTERING THIS EVENT FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER OR USING THE AIRSPACE ASSOCIATED WITH IT, AND RELEASE AFRIKA BURNS CREATIVE PROJECTS NPC (“AFRIKABURN”) FROM ANY CLAIM ARISING FROM THIS RISK. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT AFRIKABURN ACCEPTS NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOU AND/OR YOUR PROPERTY, AND YOU INDEMNIFY IT AGAINST DAMAGE OR LOSS TO YOUR PERSON OR YOUR PROPERTY HOWEVER CAUSED AND YOU RELEASE AFRIKABURN FROM ANY CLAIM ARISING FROM THIS RISK AND AGAINST ANY AND ALL CLAIMS BY THIRD PARTIES FOR INJURY, DAMAGE OR LOSS SUSTAINED RELATING TO YOUR PARTICIPATION, ATTENDANCE AT, OR ENTRANCE TO THE EVENT OR YOUR BREACH OF THESE OR ANY AFRIKABURN POLICIES OR TERMS. YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY ALL OF AFRIKABURN’S APPLICABLE POLICIES, RULES AND TERMS AND CONDITIONS, INCLUDING IN RESPECT OF SERVICES AS WELL AS HOW AFRIKABURN PROCESSES YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION.
Mutant vehicles, artworks, performances, theme camps, personal camps, passenger vehicles and aircraft are not owned or operated by AfrikaBurn. You assume any and all risk of injury, death or loss associated with or arising from their operation and/or existence at the event. YOU MAY NOT ACCESS THE AIRFIELD AREA INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE RUNWAY.
You are expected to insure all property brought by you to the event whether or not you own such property. If you need medical treatment, or to be medically evacuated, you will be expected to cover these costs and so you should ensure you have adequate medical insurance in place.
You must bring enough food, water, shelter and first aid to survive for a week in a harsh environment. Commercial vending is prohibited, as are all weapons, firearms, fireworks, rockets and other explosives. You agree to read and abide by all the rules contained in the survival guide, as well as abide by all valid instructions from all event staff and/or independent contractors and/or volunteers, and to follow national and local laws. This is a LEAVE NO TRACE, pack it in, pack it out event. You are asked to contribute two hours of general clean-up in addition to cleaning your own camp before departure.
You understand and agree that this Event is a private event on private property where your use or creation of any intellectual property, is subject to the ownership use rights of AfrikaBurn, or other attendees, and that promotional or commercial use of images, audio or video taken at the event, including but not limited to photographs and video footage of people, objects and artworks and their use in print or social media, is prohibited without the prior written consent of AfrikaBurn. You appoint AfrikaBurn as you representative to take any action necessary to protect your intellectual property or privacy rights, recognising that AfrikaBurn has no obligation to take any action whatsoever.
All vehicles including trucks, trailers, caravans, RV’s and aircrafts entering and exiting AfrikaBurn are subject to search by the Gate staff and/or volunteers. You consent to reasonable examinations and searches by authorised AfrikaBurn staff and/or independent contractors and/or South African Police to ensure your compliance with South African laws and the event rules and you acknowledge that illegal substances are not permitted in the event premises. Tickets are non-refundable even in the event the event is terminated or cancelled due to harsh weather, acts of nature, governmental regulation or other conditions beyond AfrikaBurn’s control. This ticket is a revocable license that may be revoked by AfrikaBurn for any reason. In the event that your license to attend the event is revoked you agree that you will leave the event immediately.
USE OF AN ENTRANCE TICKET, VEHICLE PASS, AIRPASS, LANDING PASS OR USE OF THE AIRSTRIP CONFIRMS YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE TERMS REFLECTED ABOVE.