AfrikaBurn takes place in the Tankwa Karoo, an arid semi-desert area located in the Northern Cape Province of South Africa.
The event site – Stonehenge Private Reserve – is approximately 300km north of Cape Town and located on the longest stretch of road in South Africa without mobile phone signal, petrol stations or nearby assistance. This road is the R355, which connects the towns Ceres in the south and Calvinia in the north.
PLEASE BE AWARE: OUR EVENT IS NOT IN THE TANKWA KAROO NATIONAL PARK
The environment is harsh: very dry and hot during the day and at times bitterly cold at night. In keeping with the rocky environment, the roads travelled to reach Tankwa Town are hard going and become treacherously dangerous at high speeds.
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE SPARE TYRES BEFORE HITTING THE ROAD.
This is the most accurate forecast (taken from a neighbouring farm’s weather station)
There’s an alternative forecast here.
WHERE IS TANKWA TOWN?
For info about flying into AfrikaBurn, please visit this page.
(want a printable version of this map? Click and download the PDF)
Please note: the following directions are just a few of the ways to reach our event. They’re presented as the safest, most popular routes, but are not the only routes. For more road info, check out our Survival Guide.
DIRECTIONS FROM CAPE TOWN
- Take the N1 North, passing Paarl, Worcester and De Doorns. 10km before you reach Touwsrivier, 160km from Cape Town, take the LEFT onto the R46, towards Ceres. If you need to fill up on fuel, do so – Worcester or Touwsrivier are your last chances.
- This road continues for approximately 40kms and ends in a T-junction. At the T-junction turn RIGHT onto the tyre-munching R355 towards Calvinia and Sutherland. Approximately 100m on, you’ll hit the dirt. SLOW DOWN.
- You brought a spare wheel, right? Good.
- This stretch of road – which is 113km long – is dangerous and eats tyres for breakfast. DO NOT DRIVE AT HIGH SPEED. It’s a long road, take in the view and read the signs.
- Round about now, you lose cellphone signal. Switch it off and forget about it. Nice, isn’t it?
- Stay on the R355 towards Calvinia (Don’t turn right to Sutherland, unless you like large radio telescopes).
- You pass a settlement called Tweefontein and a small white bridge crossing the Tankwa River bed. At this point, you’re about 2kms from the turn off to the venue.
- Stay on the R355, until you see a T-junction up ahead with signs pointing right to AfrikaBurn / Stonehenge Private Reserve.
- Turn right and follow the road to Die Hek, our event gate.
DIRECTIONS FROM JOHANNESBURG
- Take the N1 South to Bloemfontein/Cape Town.
- Stay on the N1 through Colesburg, Hanover and Richmond.
- From Richmond travel 64 kms on the N1 and turn right onto the R63 to Victoria West.
- Travel on the R63 through Victoria West and follow the road and signs to Calvinia.
- Drive through Calvinia and about 2 km outside of town you’ll see a sign ‘Ceres R355’. Turn left here onto the gravel road to Ceres.
- Do NOT drive faster that 70km per hour under any circumstances, or in any vehicle, at any time along this gravel road!
- Take note: This is the last time you will have phone signal until you get back to this spot – this includes at the event. Calvinia is the last place where you can get supplies (water, gas, petrol, etc), so if you need them, get them. There are no shops after Calvinia.
- Travel carefully along the R355 for approximately 100 kms.
- Do not turn off to the Tankwa Karoo National Park.
- Watch up ahead for a T-junction – you’ll see a Stonehenge Private Reserve / AfrikaBurn farm sign. Turn left here.
- SOUTH 32.326841: EAST 19.748139
- Take the N8 to Kimberley and then continue along the N12 to Victoria West. Turn right into the R63 at Victoria West (T junction), thereafter follow the directions listed above for Johannesburg from Victoria West onward.
DIRECTIONS FROM DURBAN
- SOUTH 32.326841: EAST 19.748139
- Take the N3 out of town, and head to Harrismith.
- At Harrismith, take the N5 via Bethlehem to Winberg, where you join the N1 and follow this to Bloemfontein.
- Thereafter follow the directions listed for Bloemfontein.