Welcome to Airspace!
UPDATE (25 JANUARY 2020)
We are back with a bang, new decade, new dreams… and yes, there will be an airport in 2021.
Some important changes for 2020:
• The airport will be open from Saturday 25th for working crew and theme camps and delivery of delicate items. WORK ACCESS PASSES will be needed to enter the event before gates open on Monday April 27th.
• Private planes and flying machines need to pay a landing fee (see below)
• Remember gate closes Friday 17h00 – NO entry after that, NO exceptions.
• Charter Organisation registration ends 20 Feb 2020
• There is a new Airspace lead – Jacqui (email@example.com). Our Major Tom is still the wizard in our pocket, but all enquiries should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About The AfrikaBurn Event
If you’re flying in to the AfrikaBurn event, here’s some very important into about the way the event works:
- AfrikaBurn is a radically self-reliant event at which nothing (other than ice) is for sale, and where all participants are expected to set up, break down and maintain their own camps and campsites. No paid staff are permitted to maintain camps, clean them or cook for the campers.
- Flying into the event limits the amount of baggage that you would be able to carry to the event – for all your other camp infrastructure, you must arrange transport and/or erection with your fellow campmates.
- Please be aware that there are fees associated for anyone wishing to use the airspace at Tankwa Town. Each passenger/pilot needs an Airport Pass – these can be bought here AND Private planes flying to the event will need to pay a once off
landing fee, according to aircraft capacity – and these can be bought here.
- The gate closes on Friday night at 17h00. Anyone arriving after that time without a will be turned away and sent back home. EVEN IF you have a valid ticket. If the plane is full you will be sent to the gate to try and find a lift home.
There are extreme conditions for flights to arrive and depart from the desert. Numerous factors can result in your flight being delayed or cancelled. Storms, fog, lockdowns, technical difficulties could ground your plane. Please allow sufficient time (aka 24hrs plus) for travel delays.
- The event does not offer an airport pick up or transfer services, at all. Afrika Burn is no drive event. So if you are flying in or out as a passenger, the onus is on you to organise members of your camp to be available at your designated time of arrival or departure, to ferry you or from our Airstrip – and this can only be achieved by the use of a registered Mutant Vehicle (mobile artwork). No personal vehicles are permitted to approach our Airstrip under any circumstances, our Event Guardians and Airport staff will instruct the driver that they must return the vehicle to their campsite until they leave the event site (which is the same policy for all personal vehicles at the event).
- All staff at our Airport are volunteers who swallow dust, dance, laugh and give their time and skills to ensure all flying vehicles and their passengers and pilots (as well as the participants of Tankwa Town) remain safe. Please treat them with courtesy.
- Airspace and Airport Info
This is where you will find resources for anyone wishing to take to the skies in the vicinity of Tankwa Town, whether as a passenger, pilot, model aircraft/drone pilot, skydiver or even if you wish to stage a flying art piece. Please be aware that there are fees associated for anyone wishing to use the airspace at Tankwa Town.
An Airspace pass is R300 and can be purchased from Quicket before the start of the event. A late arrival Airspace pass is R500 and can also be purchased from Quicket or at the event on arrival – this tariff will be applicable during the event.
Private planes flying to the event will need to pay a once off landing fee, according to aircraft capacity.
You can find these fees and links to Quicket in the links below.
OTHER AIRSPACE USE
If you wish to stage a piece of flying art, or if you are a licensed skydiver wishing to skydive at Afrikaburn please contact email@example.com
DRONES / RPAS / MODEL AIRCRAFT
Drones, remotely piloted aircraft systems and model aircraft flying are not permitted at AfrikaBurn due to Civil Aviation Authority legislation.
VOLUNTEER TO BECOME PART OF OUR TEAM!
We’re always in need of helping hands to ensure the airstrip runs smoothly. Whether you love aeroplanes or not, the airstrip is always an interesting post to volunteer at. Here you will have a unique opportunity to get up close to some interesting light aircraft, meet the pilots and other aviation enthusiasts.
To sign up as an Airspace volunteer, CLICK HERE – we’d love to meet you!
All passengers, pilots and other users of the airspace (including skydivers) are required to pay a fee for the airstrip facilities, processing and management. See our Airspace Fees page for all the info.
Flying into Tankwa Town is NOT the same as a normal domestic flight. If you’re planning to fly to AfrikaBurn, please read our info about Flying to AfrikaBurn as a Passenger.
Pilots are required to read up about the specifics of flying into and out of our remote airstrip. Pilots will need to pay a once off entry landing fee to enter the event.
For all info, please read our Flying to AfrikaBurn as a Pilot page.
WEATHER & CONDITIONS
Our airstrip is located in a desert environment where dust storms and occasional torrential downpours can reduce visibility to zero. For the latest conditions and guidelines on weather, please read our Weather and Conditions page (which includes links to cameras that are live during the annual event period). Weather may result in your flight being delayed or cancelled. Please note that our Airspace team, or AfrikaBurn, cannot be held responsible for the weather.
For Airspace enquiries not covered in the info above, or for volunteer queries, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or visit our Facebook page.
BY ATTENDING THIS EVENT YOU PERSONALLY AND VOLUNTARILY ASSUME THE FOLLOWING RISKS FOR YOURSELF AND ANY MINORS ACCOMPANYING YOU TO THIS EVENT OR ENTERING THIS EVENT ON A TICKET PURCHASED BY YOU ON THEIR BEHALF: INJURY, SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH AS A RESULT OF ATTENDING THIS EVENT AS WELL AS RISK OF DAMAGE, LOSS OR DESTRUCTION OF PERSONAL PROPERTY BROUGHT BY YOU TO THE EVENT (WHETHER OR NOT OWNED BY YOU). YOU VOLUNTARILY ASSUME LOSS OR DAMAGE TO PROPERTY AND THE RISK OF SERIOUS INJURY OR DEATH BY ATTENDING, FLYING TO, OR ENTERING THIS EVENT FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER OR USING THE AIRSPACE ASSOCIATED WITH IT, AND RELEASE AFRIKA BURNS CREATIVE PROJECTS NPC (“AFRIKABURN”) FROM ANY CLAIM ARISING FROM THIS RISK. YOU ACKNOWLEDGE AND AGREE THAT AFRIKABURN ACCEPTS NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOU AND/OR YOUR PROPERTY, AND YOU INDEMNIFY IT AGAINST DAMAGE OR LOSS TO YOUR PERSON OR YOUR PROPERTY HOWEVER CAUSED AND YOU RELEASE AFRIKABURN FROM ANY CLAIM ARISING FROM THIS RISK AND AGAINST ANY AND ALL CLAIMS BY THIRD PARTIES FOR INJURY, DAMAGE OR LOSS SUSTAINED RELATING TO YOUR PARTICIPATION, ATTENDANCE AT, OR ENTRANCE TO THE EVENT OR YOUR BREACH OF THESE OR ANY AFRIKABURN POLICIES OR TERMS. YOU AGREE TO BE BOUND BY ALL OF AFRIKABURN’S APPLICABLE POLICIES, RULES AND TERMS AND CONDITIONS, INCLUDING IN RESPECT OF SERVICES AS WELL AS HOW AFRIKABURN PROCESSES YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION.
Mutant vehicles, artworks, performances, theme camps, personal camps, passenger vehicles and aircraft are not owned or operated by AfrikaBurn. You assume any and all risk of injury, death or loss associated with or arising from their operation and/or existence at the event. YOU MAY NOT ACCESS THE AIRFIELD AREA INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO THE RUNWAY.
You are expected to insure all property brought by you to the event whether or not you own such property. If you need medical treatment, or to be medically evacuated, you will be expected to cover these costs and so you should ensure you have adequate medical insurance in place.
You must bring enough food, water, shelter and first aid to survive for a week in a harsh environment. Commercial vending is prohibited, as are all weapons, firearms, fireworks, rockets and other explosives. You agree to read and abide by all the rules contained in the survival guide, as well as abide by all valid instructions from all event staff and/or independent contractors and/or volunteers, and to follow national and local laws. This is a LEAVE NO TRACE, pack it in, pack it out event. You are asked to contribute two hours of general clean-up in addition to cleaning your own camp before departure.
You understand and agree that this Event is a private event on private property where your use or creation of any intellectual property, is subject to the ownership use rights of AfrikaBurn, or other attendees, and that promotional or commercial use of images, audio or video taken at the event, including but not limited to photographs and video footage of people, objects and artworks and their use in print or social media, is prohibited without the prior written consent of AfrikaBurn. You appoint AfrikaBurn as you representative to take any action necessary to protect your intellectual property or privacy rights, recognising that AfrikaBurn has no obligation to take any action whatsoever.
All vehicles including trucks, trailers, caravans, RV’s and aircrafts entering and exiting AfrikaBurn are subject to search by the Gate staff and/or volunteers. You consent to reasonable examinations and searches by authorised AfrikaBurn staff and/or independent contractors and/or South African Police to ensure your compliance with South African laws and the event rules and you acknowledge that illegal substances are not permitted in the event premises. Tickets are non-refundable even in the event the event is terminated or cancelled due to harsh weather, acts of nature, governmental regulation or other conditions beyond AfrikaBurn’s control. This ticket is a revocable license that may be revoked by AfrikaBurn for any reason. In the event that your license to attend the event is revoked you agree that you will leave the event immediately.
USE OF AN ENTRANCE TICKET, VEHICLE PASS, AIRPASS, LANDING PASS OR USE OF THE AIRSTRIP CONFIRMS YOUR AGREEMENT TO THE TERMS REFLECTED ABOVE.